The Game of Roguelike

As I was reading Matt Barton's and Bill Loguidice's article on the history of Rogue, two questions popped into my head.  How did an elementary-looking game spawn so many "Roguelikes," and if it is "an easy game to pick up and play for a few minutes while waiting for a bus," then why doesn't Koster's theory that we will get bored with the game after it teaches us everything we know apply?  I think that the first question is easily answered because not only of the game's basic story and goal but also the sheer fun of exploring the dungeons.  That allows for infinite possibilities in newer "Roguelikes" and better graphics.  The second question, I think, was answered by the fact that sudden death could occur at any moment and every time you played, you got a new adventure.  So even after one mastered all the "q" and "e" commands and remembered what "z" was, the game was still enjoyable. 

Find other views on Rogue here.

Good point. Another thing is that the game has so many different weapons and potions and scrolls, randomly distributed, with random magical effects, that if you play the game once because you found a really powerful sword on level 3, the next time you play there might not be any sword there at all but you might find a really powerful shield on level 5, and that tool would change the strategies you'd need to develop in order to win the game.

Jeremy Barrick said:

Are you a fan of "Rogue" type games? And to answer your question from earlier, I have played other consoles in the past, but found my niche with the Xbox 360. How about you?

Susan Carmichael said:

I would say that PlayStation is definitely my console preference; although on the hand-held side, I like my Nintendo DS but haven't had experience with any other types.

Susan Carmichael said:

Oh and I do like "Rogue" type games.

Matt Takacs said:

I've mentioned this on another person's blog. There's actually a Doom Rogue-like.

http://doom.chaosforge.org/