The Williams and Smith Realm

The Players' Realm by J. Patrick Williams and Jonas Smith requires a more focused, academic, and researched-based audience than A Theory of Fun by Ralph Koster; however, I am glad to be using both texts to understand video game culture and theory.  The Williams and Smith text seems to provide more in-depth examples (and by a variety of authors) to its effect on culture.  It also states that the editors and authors in the book know and care about gaming.  It is apparent that Koster does too, so I think that comparing the two books might not be so difficult in the end.

In the Williams and Smith introduction, it was sad to read about gaming's bad rap, but the text also pointed out that television also received a bad rap when it was brought into the mainstream.  Does this mean that gaming's negative cloud will evaporate away in the future?   Maybe or maybe not but the way gaming is portrayed in the media is part of gaming culture and should be part of the discussion. 

I really doubt video games' negative cloud will ever completely evaporate. Too much damage has already happened. It really bothers me that so many people blame video games for what happened with Columbine. I actually got in a fight with a teacher back in high school about the subject, because I don't think that video games train kids to become killers.

I really hope I'm wrong about the negative cloud though. It's definitely possible that it could evaporate, because just look at how Television has progressed since South Park began to air all those years ago. There's practically nudity on prime-time tv shows, like Grey's Anatomy! Have you ever seen My Name is Earl or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? Both of those shows cross so many lines that it's a wonder they're even still on the air. So, i guess we still have hopes for video games, huh?