« Roberts Ch. 10 | Main | EYES! »

The Great Gatsby

Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby (1925) -- Jerz: American Lit II (EL 267)

"I hope she'll be a fool - that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool..."
Page 17, Chapter 1

I chose this quote because I find Daisy's feelings interesting. In her mind she hopes that her daughter is a "beautiful fool" because if she has to deal with infidelity when she is older like her mother is with Tom...then maybe if she is foolish, she will not realize it is happening and still be trusting and happily married. This is a different point of view that I believe women would have about infidelity in todays age because divorce is almost 100% more exceptable. But in Daisy and her daughters case, Daisy believes and perhaps wishes that she was foolish so that she did not know about her husbands mistress and then she would still be happy in her marriage. Daisy's thoughts show that leaving her husband because she is unhappy or angry with his actions is in no way an option. She would rathter be ignorant of the affair so her life could go on without feelings of insecurity and suspiciousness.

Posted by TerraStumpf at February 20, 2006 1:54 PM