« He is "Donne" with Death | Main | Windsor or Wisteria Lane? »

Shakespeares true infatuation

"But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight" (Shakespeare 6-7-My Mistress' Eyes are Nothing like the Sun)

The speaker's infatuation of this woman, is that of an infatuation. He thought he loved her but with a closer look, he sees her flaws.
The two lines that jumped out at me first was "But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight"
To me, these two lines are the epiphany in which the speaker realizes he really doesn't care about the woman. Her cheeks are pale and something so unnatural like perfume is more delightful than her.
This was my initial thought when I first read the poem, that Shakespeare just didn't like this girl, but after reading Erica's blog, I put her thoughts into perspective. She said:

"Then and now, a lady wants her love to tell her that she is perfect, even when they both know she is not."
Which made me think, maybe the speaker did love his lady, and was just writing about her imperfections which were intended to be private. Either way, Erica is right, Shakespeare would probably not be hired by Hallmark.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/12833

I kind of agree with you, but then I think you also have to look at the last two lines of the poem: "And yet by heaven, I think my love as rare/ As any she belied with false compare". Those two lines I think redeem Shakespeare by saying "it doesn't really matter what she looks like, i still love her".

I believe the last few lines of the sonnet show that he does love her. It reads, "And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare"(Shakespeare 13). So yes he points out all of her flaws, but in the end none of that matters. He loves her for the person she is on the inside not on the outside.