« Portfolio 1--Intro to Literary Study! | Main | Peace on Earth? Just a Pitt Stop »

Trust Shakespeare, he knows what he is talking about!

Even through all of Shakespeare's work, he managed to write about topics that will never fade in debate or discussion. Smart man...way to be a legend. In the Merry Wives of Windsor, trust is a big issue, just as Maddie and Greta pointed out. The characters battle with trust issues and plot revenge. Mrs. Page and Mrs. Ford in themselves cannot be trustworthy considering they are "playing the field" with Falstaff. It is an ironic spin-off not targeting one character.
We can still debate about trustworthiness in common day society. Like..."A Good Man is Hard to Find," deals with trust with the grandma and the Misfit.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/12983

Tiffany, I like how you referenced Maddie and Greta's blogs. I looked at yours first, but then took a look at theirs too. Plus, I like all of your comments on trust. I did not really think about Mrs. Page and Mrs. Ford not being trustworthy (mostly because I thought Falstaff totally deserved what he got from them); however after reading your comments my eyes were opened to their untrustworthy characters.

Ya know, one thing that I can definitely get from reading all of these blogs is that we've all got trust issues of some sort or another! They don't have to be big issues, but everyone's got them on some level or another. I like the fact that you tied Merry Wives of Windsor into O'Connor's "The Misfit." Great way to connect the readings! You were also right to think over The Bard's enduring genius. A writer can reach immortality by writing about significant and prolonged change that affects a large amount of people.

Yes, trust is a big issue. But I like how you bring up that of revenge as well. I got caught up in the mistrust, and didn't pay too much attention to that. But really, everyone in this play is out for revenge. And Mrs. Page, Mrs. Ford, and Mr. Ford get their revenge (although I think they go a little too far with it), but what happened to Caius and Evans revenge? They wanted to get revenge on the Host for tricking them, but it never happens. The Host does lose his horses, but the doctor even warns him about that. I wonder why Shakespeare chose not to finish that part of the plot up.