Scansion

"A scanned poem is roughly analogous to a musical score: it marks the stresses and pauses and provides a guide to the rhythms, but ittakes a performance with the instrument of the human voice to bring out the variations in intonations, lengths of syllables, and emphaes that give the work full meaning" (Hamilton 205.)

So once you've got the CORRECTLY scanned poem, its time to understand the words that are emphasized and those that do not matter as much. I personally think that is much easier. Stressed syllables=more important than unstressed syllables, ultimately allowing the reader to better understand the meaning behind the poem. Then you get into the speaker's tone...etc. This kind of reminds me of symbolism. It's the hidden meaning behind an object or in this case, a poem in its entirety. So I assume, if you're going to analyze poetry and form an opinon about it, why not get all the facts and dig deeper into what the speaker really means. Then you could even debate about it with someone who would find that interesting or be equally good at debating meaning of poetry....and thats not me guys. :)

I think your quote makes a good point about how closely related poetry is with music. Poetry can have rhythm and a sort of melody, just like music. Having a knowledge of music definitely helps me with maintaining the meter of a poem.

I would be that debater type. What's the point in having poetry or any literature if we aren't supposed to delve deep into it to find what the author truly intended?

This is a great quote that you picked Tiffany! When I read this line I thought that it was a great comparison! If you think about it though, it does seem to be an obvious line because all songs start off as poems really. They rhyme, or don't, but still have a beat which is what makes them sound good when they're set to music. Think about this song by Keith Urban called "You'll Think of Me"

"Take your records take your freedom
Take your mem'ries I don't need 'em
Take your space and take your reasons
But you'll think of me"

Each of his lines has 8 syllables going by the pattern stressed then unstressed (all except for the "But you'll think of me".) Wow, thanks Tiffany for making me think! I never realized this about one of my favorite songs.