Euphemism and Quotes

Chapter 6:

As I was reading the use and misuse section on pg. 56 of the "genteelism" the tone seemed to be what is redefined in the newswriting world. We angle to use more precise words that grab the reader that shorting delema and substites as jargon. We only use euphemisms on the bases of " used to doll up an emotionally stark but otherwise unexceptional fact of the human condition. You want to balance and tone which can be a struggle. I found it interesting the relationship of words that are used in the instead of one another such as expecting for pregnant.

Hmm I would just use pregnant! Note: it is also stated that you can lead into a bad habit with the force of style and tone. You must let "Fine Writng" do it's thing. Listen and Understand the balance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 8

Quotations are my favorite thing. Do I have fun with them? I have a field day with them.

It was really helpful to read and understand the basics of quotations. I found the section on Expltive Deleted to find a fine line between profanity, vulgarity, and obscenity. The society has become alot more involved with the the usage of the terms and words that are inapproriate. Though what do you think about the allowance of obscence language in theaters, music, film, public eye? In regards to newspaper personally I think it is great that they don't use such terms. Also, while reading I found that is good AP policy to avoid the casual profanity and vulgarisms. Though the exceptions very from newpaper to newspaper.

Do you think that in future writing that newspapers will have a bigger allowance of direct quote in the freedom of speech to direct quote? I mean of course theres regualtion but this day an age at this point it is hard to tell.

Wendy, you bring up some interesting questions about why vulgarity is acceptable some places, but not in journalism. I think it comes down essentially to two reasons. First, news writing and more creative things (such as music, theater, films) are created for different reasons. News writing is meant to present facts, and vulgarity adds very little to facts. Authors of creative works on the other hand may want a character to swear so that the reader gets the sense that they are a certain kind of person or to stress how upsetting an event was for a character. Second, the audience is a big factor. Newspapers are read by all kinds of different people. Some may be offended by such language. They are also not expecting to run into vulgarity in their news. And I, personally, do not think that the norm will ever be the acceptance of vulgarity in news writing.

Good points, folks. Occasionally, as when a politician tells a dirty story in front of an open microphone, the vulgarity is part of the story, but you can either use dashes to mask the word, or paraphrase in order to convey exactly which vulgarity we're talking about.

Greta- I think you make an interesting point about the difference between newswriting audiences and "arts" audiences. In novels, plays, music...any of these media, sometimes it is the writer's *intention* to offend. These writers take people out of their comfort zones on purpose, and cause them to reconsider established truths. In journalism our goal is to inform. Anything that distracts from this information is detracting from our objective, and vulgarity is almost always a distraction.