Mr. Ebert

To give a quick opinion on what i feel about Mr. Eberts comment about video games, I would have to stronrly disagree.  Video gaming is art, or else what do you call all the digital effects, imaging, designing, everything that goes into a game.  Do you think that some people my want to have a choice of what their viewing or how their interacting? I do, I mean come on.  I don't feel his opinion is open minded at all. I think it is coming from a old school mentality, which i think he is stuck in.( disagree with some of the movie reviews).  Video gaming is a form of art form, just different from film and literature.  But at the same time, there are many books that are made into movies, which in turn are then made into video games? Huh? 

"To my knowledge, no one in or out of the field has ever been able to cite a game worthy of comparison with the great dramatists, poets, filmmakers, novelists and composers." Ebert quotes.  My response to this is no yet.  With the new forms of gaming, like NGJ, there are possibilities that games will be considered with some of the great poets, filmmakers, etc. Just hasn't happened yet.

Ashley F said:

"Video gaming is art, or else what do you call all the digital effects, imaging, designing, everything that goes into a game."

I do not think Mr. Elbert is referring to the visual aspect of it as much as the 'whole' context of video games.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/art

That is the defination of art. I was looking for something different but I will try to explain it. When we say art I think we are trying to get across a perfection of a genre (literary, paintings, sculptures, architect, and such). I understand what you are saying though, visually wise. I think if Video Gaming is going to get the credit it deserves it is going to have to be more then just about visual art. It is going to have to be how the person interacts and feels throughout the game. How do you feel when you see Picasso? How is Picasso expressing himself to you? How does Halo make you feel? How does Halo come across to you?

I think for video gaming to be a 'technical' art that these questions you ask will have to be defined further.

Admin Author Profile Page said:

I think you're is onto something valuable here when you ask what, specifically, Ebert means by "art." The term "art" comes from the Latin "ars, artis" which means "skill", while the term "technology" comes from "teche" which is basically the same word in Greek. The skillful use of pixels, simulation of fluid and lighting effects, and all the packaging can be technically incredible, but in order for it to count as "art" people like Ebert expect it to reach them in the same way that they are already being reached by the art with which they are familiar. I think especially noteworthy is Ebert's claim that it's not art if the artist isn't in control, that a creator who gives choices to the receiver is by definition relinquishing the right to claim that the result of his or her creative vision counts as art. I'm sure Ebert could appreciate a sunset rendered in Second Life, just as he could appreciate a cityscape rendered in Monsters Inc. or a chase seqence from Toy Story.

Ashley F said:

Zach do you have any more thoughts?