Love/Loathe Oprah by the Reluctant Hipster

“Love her or loath her, it is difficult to deny that Oprah Winfrey spans a broad cultural landscape.” (Striphas, The Late Age of Print)

I have always felt just so about Oprah. I get tired of hearing about her, I don’t understand the draw to watch her, and I have never looked to her for guidance on anything from relationships to literature. (I feel this way about all talk-show hosts.) Still, I cannot deny that for whatever reason, she has become a lighthouse for all kinds of people (especially women).

As discussed in the chapter, she now uses the power or “Ophrahfication” to motivate people, and really it’s all been for good causes: better schools for the underprivielged (like girls in Africa), reading in America, etc. I cannot complain.

For someone interested in literature, I understand she is no expert on literary analysis or literature, and I prefer not to buy into the conglomerate that is Oprah or “what’s popular.” (Maybe I’m a hipster.) I will read on recommendation of those I trust, and I see evidence of good selection.

I’ve read very few Oprah books so I cannot back up what I’m about to say. Still, I wonder if those books became popular because they were “good” or because they had Oprah’s stamp. Would they have become best sellers? What qualifies as “good,” the number sold or the critics review, lasting power, or my own personal tastes? Branding is powerful as I learned in last semester’s Public Opinion and Propaganda class.

And just because it got people to read, made the work accessible to the general public, it does not mean the study of what’s good or branding shouldn’t be looked into when it comes to Oprah.

4 thoughts on “Love/Loathe Oprah by the Reluctant Hipster

1. She covered a great deal of classic literature in the book club too. All of the books that I’ve read on her list were mostly classics. Those books are clearly good. Most of them are canonized. So branding doesn’t really matter as much for those ones, in my opinion.

2. Pingback: The Oprah Phenomenon: Books that Fit | Feeling Newsy

3. Not the classics, but definitly the new fiction. I’m just saying it’s something to watch out for as an abuse of power like the Time Warner production of Harry Potter and Time Magazine cover duo. Subliminal advertising in the form of media that we respect.

Also thanks for the pingback.

4. Pingback: Portfolio One: Blogging Hard | Alumni Writing