Foster (8-10)

The quote which really spoke to me within these chapters was, “we want strangeness in our stories, but we want familiarity, too. We want a new novel to be not quite like anything we’ve read before. At the same time, we look for it to be sufficiently like other things we’ve read so that we can use those to make sense of it. If it manages both things at once, strangeness and familiarity, it sets up vibrations, harmonies to go with the melody of the main story line. And those harmonies are where a sense of depth, solidity, resonance comes from. Those harmonies may come from the Bible, from Shakespeare, from Dante or Milton, but also from humbler, more familiar texts”. As a writer, I have been introduced several times to the ideas of “literary canon” and “literary trope”. If there is something that college has ruined a little bit for me as a huge fan of pop culture was how everything seems to repeat within them. I have had so many classes in Creative Writing, that now I am capable of identifying tropes and canons from miles away. It has become almost unbearable to read books and watch movies/television shows as I feel like I have read and watched everything there is out there, but the truth is that everything just seems more predictable and obvious nowadays.

Source: Foster (8-10)