Italy2013 A study of Renaissance Art throughout Italy

June 10, 2013

Venice Day 2

Filed under: Uncategorized — cfroncek @ 1:18 am
Loved the flowers in the window boxes

Loved the flowers in the window boxes

I loved the glass blown sculpture at its base. It really seemed to represent the Island and its craft

The medeterrainian sea Me by the sea

You can see Murano in the background

You can see Murano in the background

Today we got to sleep in a bit for our free day. I decided to stick with the group and take a boat over to Venice’s famous glass making island, Murano. The water bus there was long and crowded, but I was lucky enough to get a spot by the edge where I could watch the Mediterranean. The water here is so much bluer than the grey Atlantic that I am used to, it was a refreshing change.
The island was much bigger than I expected it to be, it seemed like a city within itself. There were glass vendors everywhere but it was distinctly less touristy and I got the feeling that we had wandered off the beaten path.

The glass here is famous for its beauty and being hand blown by Italian glass masters. You could tell each was hand blown because no two cups, bowls, or beads were alike. I noticed that many shared characteristics that would differ by vendor. One shop sold mostly red and blue cups where another twisted black and white in its vases. My favorite glass commodity that they sold was their jewelry, each bead so unique that even the individual earrings in sets differed slightly from their pair (though not by much). I purchased a small bracelet with black beads encased in gold filigree, with a set of beaded earrings splashed with hints of black and blue. The blue accents in the earrings are the same color as the ocean we passed en route to Murano.

After this we relaxed in Piazza San Marco for a while, my favorite piazza, and people watched. This was followed by a trip inside the Doges Palace to see a Manet exhibit! I loved how Olympia contrasted with other Venuses we had seen previously in the Uffizi. Particularly with the Venus of Urbino, I love how the gaze of Olympia differs so much from the Venus of Urbino, as well as their posture. Even the animal at the foot of the bed contrasts, Urbino has a small dog which is the symbol of fidelity and Olympia has a black cat which I was told represents the devil. This interesting contrast inspired me to do more research; perhaps I will do my class project on comparing the Venuses of Italy.

Until next time!

No Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL