Oral Interpretation

There is no definitive recitation of any poem (POL): Listening to each of them recite the chosen poems you could tell that they’d practiced with reciting. They chose poems that they could relate to with their interests, which made them recite the poems with more confidence and emotion. I was able to stay engaged because of their tone of voice and their facial expressions. By everyone having a different reactions to the poems, the audience is able to connect and notice something  differently each time it’s read, based on the tone of voice of the current reader.  I often find myself rereading any poems that I write with different voices to make it more interesting as I continue to write.

Paying attention to the sounds (PFTE):  After listening to the students read their poetry then reading Jerz’s blog post and going back to listen again, I noticed a lot more.  Just by listening it’s easy to tell which words/ stanzas have more emotion behind them by the power in their tones as they read them. As I was watching the bilingual poem reading, I was more so focused on her hand movements and how much emphasis she would put on the words while reading.  Including different tones of voice and body language definitely adds to the  message of the poem because it get’s the audience more engaged.  It’s sort of like listening to music, instead of singing along, just pay attention to what the lyrics are and see how you can connect with that specific song.

Source: Oral Interpretation

Posted by danisharogers   @   24 January 2018

Like this post? Share it!

RSS Digg Twitter StumbleUpon Delicious Technorati Facebook

Jan 24, 2018
1:34 pm

I love your strategy of rereading poems with different voices. A few months ago I recorded a story for a radio theatre group, in which I performed the narrator and both characters in the story. Then, last month, I was invited to participate in a live reading of the same story, but this time I was one of three actors (I played one of the characters). I got something new out of the story by focusing on just one character’s experience.