Calvino, through Ch 3

For starters I loved how Calvino started off the book as if he was watching us read.  He wants us to prepare ourselves to indulge in the mysteries that lie within this book and the funny thing about it, is that I was actually making myself comfortable as I was going along with the book. On page 3 Calvino says, “Find the most comfortable position,” so I took this as he was preparing us for a great story, but then I felt as though I was tricked. As I was reading on I was starting to get confused because he was going back and forth in two different worlds. As a reader we were in the “real word” and as the character in the book, we were in their “reader world”.

I figured this was something clever because this is the first time I’ve ever seen this done before and I feel like it brings a completely different feel into the book. It’s no longer like reading a regular book  because in a sense you’re reading two books in one and you’re playing the role of a main character. Speaking of the main character I wasn’t sure if it was a boy or girl and honestly I’m still not sure, but I think it’s supposed to be Calvino. Going on, there were a few quotes that I definitely loved and felt as though I could relate with, such as, “you cut your way through your reading as if through a dense forrest, “(42). I just found this quote AMAZING because it’s basically the basis for being engaged in a book and being able to sail through it understanding the plot and characters.

Initially starting off I was completely lost to the setting that Calvino had, but as I read on and started and completed chapter 3, then I understood the background. We, as the readers, are reading through two lives, which is interesting because we’re constantly bouncing back and forth, but it’s in a synchronized order.

Source: Calvino, through Ch 3

Posted by danisharogers   @   27 February 2018

Like this post? Share it!

RSS Digg Twitter StumbleUpon Delicious Technorati Facebook

Trackbacks to this post.