Kirschenbaum, Ch 5

I didn’t find chapters five and six of Kirschenbaums Track Changes as interesting as the previous chapters. There were a few quotes that I noticed throughout the chapters to which I was able to make connections with my own experiences.

In chapter five we were taken along the journey of Jerry Pournelle and his encounters with using the word processor and being introduced to these different machines. On page 96 Pournelle said, “there is always more than one project under way at a time and work is not aways published in the order in which it is finished,” which is a quote I gratefully admired because it definitely describes the life of a writer. Mainly with having to read so many books this semester, not only for this course but for other ones too, I have had a hard time keeping up with getting all my assignments completed in a timely fashion.  Reading isn’t an issue for me, but when I’m reading 4-5 books at one time, it does become extremely challenge because then it involves writing and, “writing is hard work”(97) when it comes to remembering one specific text out of 5.

The more I read into these the chapters, the more I find this quotes that  resonate so well with the journey I’m enduring for my last semester of college. With being a writer, I do enjoy hand writing sometimes because it’s relaxing and it doesn’t wear you down as much as typing would, but “computers also amplify creative imagination”(105). That goes perfectly when it comes to me writing poetry, which is what I’m focusing on in one of my other courses. Overall I’m just grateful to have a computer and the fact that we have word processor because I don’t think I would be able to manage a lifestyle of constantly using a type writer and having the dictionary handy to double check my words.  Especially after looking at some of the images in chapter 6, I honestly don’t believe I would be able to use the computers they used back then. I’m happy that computers have evolved to be less complex, but I’m also grateful that I don’t always depend on my computer because handwriting is fun, depending on what you’re writing.

Source: Kirschenbaum, Ch 5

Posted by danisharogers   @   8 April 2018

Like this post? Share it!

RSS Digg Twitter StumbleUpon Delicious Technorati Facebook

No comments yet. Be the first to leave a comment !