Kirschenbaum, Ch 7

On page 155 Kirschenbaum gets into the capabilities that the word processor has, which interested me because I didn’t know about one of these capabilities until my senior year of high school and I have been using word since I’ve been in middle school .

“It was also about the voice and ear, speaking and listening, dictation and transcription.”

As I mentioned above the capability that I hadn’t know about was the dictation and this chapter just bought awareness to the dictation aspect that word has. Before word was invented there was point where someone would talk and the other person would be writing out what they said, only to go back and type it up once they’ve finished talking.  Because they got rid of the typewriter and they introduced society to new typing programs they also introduced society to a new speech “correlates”, which they embedded in word.

I haven’t ever used the dictation setting before, but from what I’ve been told it does help a lot and Google also has this dictation setting, which is beneficial for those who hate typing or writing.  I would say that having Kirschenbaum mention this made me think about it more because I don’t ever acknowledge this capability. I would prefer to just type or write out my work, but now going through this chapter I am kind of interested in giving it a try.

It’s pretty interesting though because it does help to increase the work flow because you’re saving time from typing and backspacing and everything. My only concern would be when it confuses your words because I do know that when using it on the dictation on the phone it doesn’t quite understand every word, so it would be interesting to see how an author would react to setting such as that. Maybe saying that they would be speech typing a whole story and once they finish or reach the 500th page they think they are done, but they have so many grammatical errors because it couldn’t catch on.

Source: Kirschenbaum, Ch 7

Posted by danisharogers   @   4 May 2018

Like this post? Share it!

RSS Digg Twitter StumbleUpon Delicious Technorati Facebook

Trackbacks to this post.