Kirschenbaum (Finish)

In the mid ending, basically chapter 11 Kirschenbaum shares what the Hemingwrite is in which he says it is, “designed for pounding out drafts for something close to what composition theories term freewriting” (241).  I would say that this is something that I do whenever I have to come up with a draft for a paper, I just throw all of my ideas there and then sort them out when it comes to the final draft. I honestly did think there was a name for something like this, but you can always expect a surprise when reading an English book. I’m actually pretty excited now because I can say that I learned a new term and instead of using free write I will just say, ” I think I’m going to hemingwrite for a little”. The interesting fact about it is that it’s a combination of word-processing and long hand writing and honestly I don’t think I would have ever came across this word if I hadn’t read this book.

One of my favorite things about this book was the way he including his author notes because usually authors will put foot notes on their pages and have the notes numbered throughout the text. In Kirschenbaum’s case he dedicated a whole section to his footnotes, to which I thought would be an extension of the novel but they weren’t. It was a clever way to show that he did use sources from others rather than including them on the same page.

All in all when reading this book I did learn a lot about computers and typing programs that I hadn’t known before. I honestly wish some of them were still around so that we could test them out and compare them to the programs that we have now. It would be interesting to see how much we’ve evolved and changed certain technologies, just like with using internet explorer and then the creating of google chrome, which is faster. I can now say that I’ve experience using a type writer because I tired the simulator, but it still own’t be the same as using a real one, which brings me to the idea of waiting and anticipating the day in life where I can use an older version of word, I believe it was called textstar.

Source: Kirschenbaum (Finish)

Posted by danisharogers   @   4 May 2018

Like this post? Share it!

RSS Digg Twitter StumbleUpon Delicious Technorati Facebook

Trackbacks to this post.