Thursday, 13 Sep 2012

topic

Inform 7 Exploration

Before class,

1. Watch this 10-minute introduction to Modern Interactive Fiction.
  2. Watch this 2-minute trailer for a documentary film on interactive fiction. (Optional: a version of the film is available online: GET LAMP… I’m featured at the 12:30, 17 minutes, and around 41 minutes. You may appreciate the snark I offer at 49 minutes.)
  3. In order to understand what Inform 7 is all about, you really need to watch someone play a text adventure game.
    1. Glance at If you’ve never played IF before…
    2. Watch this 10-minute video showing my son (who was 11 at the time) playing IF for the first time.
  4. Post a brief reaction to what you’ve learned about IF so far.
  5. Install Inform 7 (Mac or PC).
  6. I hinted in class that I was going to create a tutorial, but why reinvent the wheel? Aaron Reed created a wonderful 8-minute Inform 7 tutorial.
During class, I will walk you through the steps of programming a simple game. You’ll get the hang of it fairly quickly — trust me.

1. […] Inform 7 Exploration – New Media Projects (EL405). No related posts. September 11th, 2012 | Category: Academia, Cyberculture, Games, Media, Modding, […]

2. Olivia Goudy: Jedi Knight says:

My initial reactions to IF programming: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/oliviagoudy84/2012/09/13/and-it-begins/

Post a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*