Writing Effective Dialogue

I enjoyed the example of dialogue that Dr.Jerz used in his blog post  because it was a dialogue about how to write a dialogue. A lot of things that were mentioned I already knew because in my Intro to Popular Fiction class, we are studying dialogue and interaction between characters. I recognize the importance of showing not telling and I felt that the dialogue I read really reinforced those rules.

In response to the blog post I read, here is an attempt at my own dialogue.

“My day was just awful. Two students in my class got into a fight. They were called into the principal’s office and then shortly after I was called in. They wondered how this could happen under my watch.” Lisa explained irritably.

“Well, how did it happen?” inquired Charles.

Lisa slapped his shoulder playfully, “You sound just like the principal! Well , I was over at my desk helping two other students with the assignment that everyone was working on in class. Apparently, two children that were partnered together didn’t really like each other, so next thing you know they’re fighting in the corner!”

As Lisa continued her rant about the festivities that happened in class, she noticed Charles pulling a box out of his pocket.

“Listen.. You are going to have rough days, hard days. It’s life. If you can’t handle this hard day, how will you handle the rest of your life with me? Will you marry me, Lisa?” questioned Charles.

Lisa smiled uncontrollably. “Of course I will! Such a silly question,” cried Lisa with tears rolling down her cheeks.

via Writing Effective Dialogue.

One thought on “Writing Effective Dialogue

1. This was so enjoyable to read! You did really well with not tacking useless “she said”/”he said” phrases onto the dialogue. Pieces that can stand alone, you let stand alone, and pieces that couldn’t got an adverb. Nice!