About Corrections

“A correction that comes from a more human perspective is always going to be more effective.”

When reading about making corrections in journalism, this quote from Craig Silverman really stuck out to me. His first step for making a correction was to feel like a human, so you understand how the wronged parties feel. I think it’s important to take into consideration the people who were affected, and make them at least feel better by owning up to your mistakes.

Going along with that, I liked Silverman’s example of tweets from reporter Brian Stelter, who admitted he made a mistake and gave a link to the correction. No one wants to make a mistake, but taking full responsibility rather than hiding from it establishes more trust with audiences. Silverman gave a statistic that showed many people felt better about a newspaper when it included corrections. It might be a little embarrassing to say “I made a mistake” when journalists are supposed to get things right, but owning up to your mistake gives you more credibility.

In today’s world, it’s difficult to make corrections with social media. However, Silverman gave a lot of good advice for doing this. I think his best point ¬†was to be persistent, and make sure you do everything you can to get the correction out there. One tweet isn’t going to do much, but many tweets from different accounts could. As a journalist, you’ll most likely make mistakes, but taking responsibility for those mistakes is most important thing you can do.