News Writing Portfolio 4

Cover Post:

As we work through the last few weeks of the semester, I have higher expectations for my last few portfolios. I believe my fourth portfolio displays the continual improvement of my blog posts. Similar to my last portfolio, my depth and riskiness sections are well represented, since I try to give long responses and am more willing to take risks with my work. My intertextuality section has always been improving, and this time I have posts with multiple hyperlinks instead of just one. Even though I did not have much luck with discussions this time, I have a plan for how to hopefully talk to more people for my next portfolio. This portfolio shows that I have continued to learn and improved my responses to demonstrate what I have learned.

Depth: 

One of my best examples of depth for this portfolio was my response to NR&W 21. I began my response with a quote from the chapter, and I followed with four lengthy paragraphs discussing what I learned from the reading. This is probably one of my best depth responses that I have done throughout all of my portfolios.

Although my response to NR&W 22 could be categorized under intertextuality since I included a link in it, I feel like it best exemplifies depth. The three paragraphs I wrote discussed different aspects of journalism ethics, and my addition of a linked article shows how in depth I was willing to research about this topic.

My last example of depth for this portfolio is my post for The Story of an Error. This activity asked us to respond to a mistake made with the name of Seton Hill in a headline. I could have simply wrote a few sentences, but I went the extra step and wrote a few paragraphs instead, connecting what I learned to my own experiences.

Riskiness:

The first post I chose for this category is my response to About Corrections. I included this in riskiness because I never really learned what a journalist is expected to do when they make mistakes. Craig Silverman’s piece included a lot of information as well, which made it difficult in terms of choosing what to write about. However, after carefully examining the information, I was able to gain a better understanding about this topic.

Another post I decided to include under riskiness was Article Progress 1. Although this may seem strange to include because it was a progress report, this is the first investigative article I have done that requires this much work. I also chose a topic that I do not know everything about, so it was risky in terms of determining who I should interview.

Finally, I chose to include my response to the University of Missouri First Amendment Lesson. This could have been put in the depth category as well since I wrote a lot for it, but I placed it here because it is more of a controversial topic right now. Although I am pretty confident in my basic knowledge of journalism, it was difficult to remain objective about the situation because I am a student journalist, so I naturally want to side with them.

Intertextuality: 

My first example of intertextuality was in my Article Inspiration 2 post. I included a link for my first article inspiration post as well as one for the article I discussed in this response.

Similarly, my Article Inspiration 3 post included multiple links. Along with links to my first and second article inspiration posts, I included a link for the article that I chose as my inspiration.

Discussion: 

Since my discussion category is one that I am always seeking to improve, I commented on the blog posts of a few different classmates. Unfortunately, I only received one response out of the four or five people I reached out to. Along with that, no one commented on any of my blog posts. I commented on Marisa Corona’s Article Progress 1 post to give her feedback on her progress for her investigative article. She responded  to my advice and said she will pay attention to my article as well. For my next portfolio, I will try reaching out to different classmates so I can hopefully have more discussions.

Timeliness:

For media lab and The Setonian, I wrote an article about the Ethel LeFrak Holocaust Education Conference that was held at Seton Hill. Although it was not for this class, this article was for journalism purposes. I think it demonstrated timeliness in terms of journalism because I uploaded my article within 48 hours of the event I attended during the conference.

For the rest of my blog posts, I was once again able to upload all of them before the class time they were due.

Coverage:

Similar to my last few portfolios, I do not have anything under this category because I believe all of my responses fit under at least one of the categories above.

Conclusion: 

Overall, I am content with the work I have completed for my fourth portfolio. The course goal that I posted in my first portfolio was to “demonstrate a thorough familiarity with the conventions of journalism.” I believe all of my work in the news writing course, including my blog posts in my portfolios, show how far I have come in my understanding of journalism. As I continue to post updates for my investigative article, I will apply everything I have learned so far. For my next portfolio, I will continue to improve my responses as I demonstrate my growing knowledge of journalism.