Media and Culture Portfolio 2

After identifying my strengths and areas of improvement in my first Participation Portfolio, I am pleased with my engagement of the course content on my blog for Topics in Media and Culture since then. While continuing to add to the depth and riskiness of my posts, I also improved in the areas of intertextuality, discussion, and timeliness. Overall, I take pride in the quality of my blog posts I have created since my first portfolio.

Depth:

Depth continued to be one of my strongest categories, as I believe most of my posts could fit under this category. When I read If On a Winter’s Night a Traveler, I felt that my final posts best exemplified depth. In Calvino, Through Ch 9, I wrote multiple paragraphs, analyzed multiple quotes and also made connections to my previous post about the book and The Name of the Rose.

Similarly, Calvino, Through Ch 12 was one of my longer posts because there were so many topics I wanted to discuss. Along with incorporating quotes, I made more connections to my previous Eco posts and analyzed what Calvino was trying to say about reading.

Like Calvino’s book, I also felt that the posts that best exemplified depth for Gutenberg’s Fingerprint were the later ones. After reading a few sections, I became more comfortable with writing multiple paragraphs about topics that I was unfamiliar with while still making connections to previous texts like The Name of the Rose and my own experiences.

My Simonds: Press post was a strong example of depth, as I discussed multiple topics in this section of Simonds’ book and analyzed a few quotes. My Simonds: Book post was similar, with multiple quotes and analysis.

In addition, I included many quotes in my final post about Gutenberg’s Fingerprint, Simonds: Lasting Impression. Along with incorporating a bit of intertextuality by discussing the Plato: Pheadrus dialogue, I blogged about Simonds’ discussion of the future of books.

Riskiness:

My first post for this portfolio, Calvino Through Ch 3, was one of the biggest risks I took while writing. Italo Calvino’s book was written in a very different style and introduced a lot of complex ideas very early in the text. However, I integrated a quote and also made a comparison to a musical to help myself better understand this book.

Another risk I took was one of my more recent posts with our Class Activity: Typewriting. Although we were not using a physical typewriter, it was still risky to jump into using a typewriter simulator, which is something I was completely unfamiliar with.

While I was fairly comfortable engaging with Simonds’ text, the one section of her book that I think was riskiest was Simonds: Ink. Although I learned from each section, the Ink section in particular was probably the most challenging because of its deep correlation to art. However, this post ended up fitting under a few categories since I incorporated quotes from the text (depth) and related it to a class activity (intertextuality).

Intertextuality:

Intertextuality was one section I hoped to improve for this portfolio, and I believe I was successful. I attempted to make connections to other sources in all my posts, and now that we’ve read multiple texts, I find myself making connections among the texts often.

In my Calvino, Through Ch 6 post, I linked to Danisha’s blog post because she had a similar idea about the gender issues in the novel.

My DK Book: Second Glance post was full of connections to Gutenberg’s Fingerprint, and I specifically linked to my Simonds: Paper response, in addition to discussing Simonds’ experience with movable type.

The first posts I wrote for Gutenberg’s Fingerprint were strong examples of intertextuality. In Simonds: Front Matter & Hugh, Me and the Book, I wrote about our discussion of the article about our online reading habits, and I connected Simonds’ words to the TV show Doctor WhoSimonds: Paper also included many connections to other sources, such as The Name of the Rose, previous articles about reading habits, and Dr. Sasmor’s visit to our class.

Additionally, my Simonds: Type post could fit under depth, but because I devoted a large portion of this post making connections to The Name of the Rose, I think it is another great example of intertextuality.

Discussion:

My discussions with other classmates greatly improved from my last portfolio. I commented on a few of my classmates’ blogs, including Kemaura’s The Ink and I post, and Laramie’s Simonds: Front Matter post. Since Danisha commented on many of my posts, I also left comments on a few of hers, including Danisha’s Simonds: Front Matter, Calvino through Ch 9, and Calvino through Ch 6 posts. I also responded to all of the comments on my blog posts this time, which is a goal I set last time.

A few of my posts also generated a lot of discussion. Two in particular each received multiple comments: Simonds: Front Matter & Hugh, Me and the Book, and Simonds: Paper, both posts I placed in other categories as well. Danisha, Laramie, and Kemaura commented on my first Simonds post, and Steve, Kemaura, and Laramie commented on my Simonds: Paper post. I responded to each of their comments, and I was glad to see the vast improvement in my discussion section for this portfolio.

Timeliness:

In my last portfolio, I recognized that I began to fall behind on creating my blog posts on time and stated my plan to improve. Some of my Calvino blogs were posted slightly past their deadline, but after those first few posts, all of my remaining posts for this portfolio were posted early or on time. This is a great improvement, and I hope to continue this progress into my next portfolio.

Coverage:

Along with completing all my blogs for this portfolio, all of my posts fit into at least one of the above categories as well. Since I had a few posts in this category in my last portfolio, I am happy that the quality of my responses improved.

Conclusion:

My second portfolio was undoubtedly an improvement from my first, and I am very content with the density and quality of my blog posts. I have continued making progress to  achieve the course goals, including improving my ability to analyze and evaluate issues about “knowledge, thought, and literacy.” Each of the new texts that I have read discuss complex issues about these topics that I have engaged with. The other course goal I mentioned in my first portfolio was strengthening my critical thinking and writing skills,  which I have continued to do by analyzing the complex issues in the texts and writing about them. Overall, I have continued to engage with the course goals and hope to continue improving for my next portfolio.

Source: Participation Portfolio 2