News, Arts, and Sports Writing Portfolio 3

With the completion of my third portfolio for News, Arts, and Sports Writing, I am very content with my progress since my last portfolio. I greatly improved the discussion and timeliness sections of my portfolio, and I also continued to display depth, riskiness, and intertextuality in my posts. Although I plan to continue making improvements in the individual sections, the overall quality of this portfolio is a significant improvement as compared to my previous two portfolios.

Depth:

One post that exemplifies depth is NM: The Future (4 of 4). This post could also fit under riskiness, as I was discussing the possibilities for the future of journalism, which is always an unknown. I wrote in-depth about the possibilities of the future of journalism, incorporating multiple quotes from the text in multiple paragraphs.

Another post that fits well under the depth category is my Post-Election Story response. I found multiple articles from a variety of news sources following the midterm elections and analyzed the objectivity of those articles in comparison to where their organizations fall on the media bias spectrum. Specifically, I spent time searching for articles about similar topics from Fox News and CNN in order to compare them and any potential bias.

Although any of my posts about Principles of American Journalism could easily fit under depth, the one I am picking out for this category is my response to Principles of American Journalism Ch3. This post was likely my longest one about one of the chapters from the text. I chose a few quotes to discuss in detail, and I wrote about the importance of journalism in the digital age.

Riskiness:

One example of riskiness for this portfolio was my Pre-Election Story post. Although I have blogged about potential media bias before, this is the first time I had to search for articles about the midterm elections and write about them. I always consider writing about political topics a risk, as there is a lot of knowledge necessary to understand them, but I think I was successful at choosing a few articles to analyze.

My response to Principles of American Journalism Ch4 was another example of riskiness. This chapter of the text focused on the business side of journalism, which is something I am not as familiar with. However, I applied what I know about advertising with the Setonian to discuss the benefits and drawbacks of journalism as a business.

Going along with the text, my Principles of American Journalism Ch5 post also falls under riskiness. I considered placing this under intertextuality, as I discussed topics from one of my communication courses. I acknowledged in my post that I do not know the most beneficial way for journalists to connect with their audience through digital media, which is risky. However, I applied what I have learned from my communication course to discuss how these lessons can be applicable and beneficial to journalism.

Intertextuality:

My first example of intertextuality is my first post for this portfolio, NM: The Future (3 of 4). Similar to my final example in the riskiness section, in this post, I discussed what I have been learning in one of my communication courses and even cited a specific statistic from a paper I wrote that I thought was applicable.

In my first post for our second text, Principles of American Journalism Ch1, I wrote about my experience as a student journalist. I related my experiences working on my high school and college’s newspapers to specific examples from the text.

Finally, Principles of American Journalism Ch2 was another strong example of intertextuality. I wrote about how my journalism class in high school talked about the Rolling Stone article discussed in the text. Additionally, I discussed how as a double major in communication and journalism, I understand both ways to perceive the public that the authors talked about.

Discussion:

For my first two portfolios of the semester, discussion was basically nonexistent. However, I significantly stepped it up for this portfolio so I could share my thoughts with my peers.

For the first chapter of Principles of American Journalism, I commented on Annie and Steve’s blog posts. In Chapter 2 of the text, Caitlin and Chelsi both wrote about interesting quotes, so I left a comment on each of their posts about that chapter. Finally, I commented on Rebecca’s third post about the future section of The News Media.

I am definitely content that I improved my discussion section for this portfolio. Moving forward, I plan to continue commenting on my peers’ blog posts to participate in more discussions with them.

Timeliness:

Throughout the semester, my timeliness section has been another one of the categories that has needed significant improvement. For this portfolio, I definitely think I’ve taken a step in the right direction. My first few posts for this portfolio were early, and although I started to fall behind toward the end, I wasn’t scrambling to finish every single post at the last possible minute. I have definitely improved my timeliness significantly since my last portfolio, and I plan to improve this section even more for our final portfolio.

Coverage:

In addition to completing all of the posts required for this portfolio, I was able to categorize my posts under at least one of the above categories.

Conclusion:

My third portfolio was definitely an improvement from my previous two, and I plan to continue making improvements for my final portfolio of the semester. Writing my responses for this portfolio also helped me continue to achieve the course goals. By reading the Principles of American Journalism text and examining articles from a variety of news outlets, this has helped me “develop an appreciation for how journalism educates the public.” I also hoped to “examine the role of the journalist in a democratic society,” and reading Principles of American Journalism and the future section of The News Media has given me a better understanding of the present and future role of a journalist in society. With the end of the semester in sight, I will continue to work toward achieving these goals as I finish our second text and any other blogging assignments.

Source: Portfolio 3