Feeling Newsy
Learn. Write. Share.
Kershner 36 and a Final Wrap Up
Categories: Uncategorized

“Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description.”— Anna Quindlen ( 1953–), Pulitzer Prize- winning columnist for The New York Times and Newsweek and author of novels, nonfiction books, and children’s stories.

Well, we are at the end of Kershner and the end of our blogging for this semester. Kershner leaves us with a list of quotes ending with the one that is appropriately listed last. I definitely think that Quindlen quote sums up my experience this year the best. In this post, I will summarize some of the work I’ve done this semester and some of the goals I’ve achieved.

The most recent layout/ story project has been the most valuable to me so far. Not only is it forcing me to be creative without the crutch of the Setonian’s design, but the project is also occurring in one of the busiest times of the year. Forcing myself to work on several projects at once is a skill that is very important to journalists.

The in-class activity I learned from the most this semester was the ongoing breaking news activity. The day the whole class was deemed a mock event was the most helpful. We had to take quotes and decide what information was important and appropriate as the situation continued to change. This activity allowed us to practice the high stakes journalism issues that we don’t often face at Seton Hill.  Revelation 1:19 says to, “ Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter.” In our small college, however, we can’t see and be prepared to see everything so simulations like those we did in class were helpful.

Online pitch forums were some of the most valuable online work we did as a class. Not only did they help with the synthesis of clear ideas, but they also helped with editorial skills. Sometimes it is difficult to explain what you really want to write about, especially to someone who has no background on your idea. As Kershner quotes, “ To write simply is as difficult as to be good.” — W. Somerset Maugham ( 1874– 1965), English author who was born in and lived part of his life in France. Among his best- known works are Of Human Bondage, The Moon and Sixpence, and The Razor’s Edge. Clarity and simplicity are key Pitch forums forced us to have logical and coherent ideas. Also, commenting on others’ posts helped me role play the position of editor, something import to my job on the Setonian.

via Kershner 36.