Math for Journalists

Math for journalists, huh? I never thought I would ever see a math course ever again in my college career since becoming a journalist student. Well it turns out this is not the case. Math is a crucial part of journalism and therefore every journalists needs to know some kind of math. Numbers can be very aggravating but these numbers, particularly accurate numbers, help journalists give readers the full in-depth information they are looking for.

Dr. Jerz gave us these three examples:

• I ate half as many donuts in 2015 as in 2016
  • In 2016, there was a 200% increase in the number of donuts I ate.
  • There was a 50% decrease in the number of donuts I ate in 2015 as compared to 2016.

The first example is okay. It is short and simple but doesn’t give the exact number of donuts eaten and for some reason this may be crucial to some people. The second example seems to be a little exaggerated. The 200% is not a true statistic and could mis-inform readers. The third example, is a bit long so it just needs reworded and cut down a few words.

Since, our class discussion on math and the journalism world, I have looked up a few videos on percentages through Khan Academy. It feels a little weird to be dealing with numbers again but it is a good thing because someday in the realm of professional journalism I could be doing just that. Source: Math for Journalists

2 thoughts on “Math for Journalists

1. I agree with you about math, I never thought that it would be such big part of journalism. However, when you think about it, it makes since because journalism is a business and it needs money.

2. Pingback: Portfolio 4 – Steve Dumnich Blogs