Oral Interpretation

In the Oral Interpretation the two main ideas that really stuck out to me were close reading of content and close reading for emotion. I watched the video from Dr. Jerz that goes through the poem, “On Being Brought from Africa to America”. During the video, I realized the importance of close reading for content. The author may use words that have several meanings and I believe it is up to the reader to interpret these words with their appropriate meanings. The video showed myself that the author does not simply use certain words to match a rhyme scheme at all times but rather give an emphasis on the meaning of the content. The second idea that enhanced my knowledge of poetry and oral interpretation is the idea of close reading for emotion. In the past, I have read poetry and expressed my feelings based off what the author has written. The video opened my eyes to the idea that an author uses words to generate emotion rather than the other way around. The two ideas I have never really put thought into before but now this new material makes me curious to go back and re-read poetry I have read in the past to see if I can close read for any miss-interpreted phrases, words, or emotions.

Source: Oral Interpretation

2 thoughts on “Oral Interpretation

1. I watched the videos on the poetry out loud site and I too agree that it’s the emphasis that the readers use on certain words that give them meaning. Rather than just casually reading through the poem, I could tell they connected with the poems on a different level, so they were able to have a strong reading. I really enjoy writing poems from time to time, so listening to them read just made me want to go back and read my own poems aloud, but with more emotion.

2. “The video opened my eyes to the idea that an author uses words to generate emotion rather than the other way around.” — Yes, that’s an important insight that’s really important to responding to texts at the college level. Advertisers, politicians, protestors, and even teachers are in the businesses of delivering messages. Rhetoric does aim to generate emotions (pathos), but it also generates authority (ethos) and knowledge (logos).