How far can YOU get in an hour and 40 minutes?

When everyone around me in class was talking about how great the Slouching Toward Bedlam game was, I was honestly excited to play this game. I've had some luck with Interactive Fiction games, but not much. I was hoping that Slouching Toward Bedlam would be the game that I could master, especially because it was mentioned in class that there were many different endings to the game. After an hour and 40 minutes, I finally retreated from the game.

For the first ten minutes of playing, I could not figure out what to do. I tried the same things over and over. Obviously, this did not take me far. I was convinced that I was supposed to do something with Reginald, but he had more important things to do than drive me somewhere. I spent a lot of time attempting to talk to James, but he had nothing to tell me.

After a half an hour of wandering around the few rooms and back outside to Reginald, I typed the "help" command. I was given a list of topics where I could receive help for that area. I would like to say that I just used a few hints to help me along, but I accessed an entire category at one time. I took all the hints I could and went back to try what I could. Surprisingly, I still didn't get very far. Another hour of playing, following the hints, did not get me far at all. I was still confused about what was going on.

Overall, I think the game is set up very interestingly, but my strong suit does not seem to be IF games. I'd like to get better at them, considering I will have to write one.

How far did others get?

Jed Fetterman said:

You sound a lot like me, Alex. I would like to beat a lot of these games because they have cool plots and interesting puzzles. I just do not want to invest the time and effort into searching every little word for the one command that will lead me to the next puzzle to get stuck at. I know it is good practice for reading literature, but I read to let my mind relax, not to think about the context of every minute phrase.