Working out again with Kilian's exercises 4 and 5.

Exercise 4: Editing Text for Websites
I found this exercise to be really helpful. It basically took all of what I have learned so far in the book and made me apply it to a text. I did put in a lot of effort to this exercise, so I have posted the edited texts.

exercise 04 - 3.doc
Original Word Count: 300
Original Fog Index: 9.0
Edited Word Count: 140
Edited Fog Index: 8.2

exercise 04 - 4.doc
Original Word Count: 900
Original Fog Index: 10.3
Edited Word Count: 353
Edited Fog Index: 9.7

While I found it very easy to bring the word count down, it was a bit more difficult for me to lower the Fog Index. From this exercise, I learned that I can shorten easily but not simplify to the level that was asked for.

Exercise 5: Analyzing Corporate Websites
This exercise required me to review three comparable sites. I chose Wal-Mart, Target, and K-Mart.

Wal-Mart
Wal-Mart's site was easy to use. The side navigation bar with interesting and helpful. By rolling over each section, the sub-sections appeared to click on. What I found confusing and distracting about Wal-Mart's site was the large amount of advertisements. These could be found right in the middle of the page. This left me to think that the information I was looking for was complete, even though there was more on the page after the advertisement.

Target
The main navigation was at the top of the page. This navigation also brought up a smaller "window" in which to click on a sub-section. Once in the sub-section, more navigation could be found on the left side of the page.

K-Mart
This page was set up more similarly to Target's page. The main navigation was at the top. Within a main section, sub-sections could be found on the left side of the page.

Each page was very similar in its set-up. The main navigation sections led to navigation sub-sections. I found Target's site easiest to use. K-Mart's was most confusing because there were advertisements and links to other parts of the site that had nothing to do with what I was searching for.

This exercise was interesting because I was able to see Kilian's point in that similar websites are arranged in a similar way. All three sites were very comparable, but slight organization tactics made some easier to use than others.

Assignment Page.