A Stickler for Grammar.

"It's tough being a stickler for punctuation these days.  One almost dare not get up in the mornings," (Truss, 2).

I have to completely agree with Lynne Truss here.  I consider myself a stickler for grammar (friends have called me the grammar Nazi) and I have to say, in a world that today is fueled by text messaging and IM-lingo, it's completely obnoxious to have to deal with the text and IM lingo outside of the internet (and even while on the internet).  I know that when I see someone online using spelling the word "like" as "lyke" or substituting "th" for "d" in the word "this" to create the cool looking word "dis" (which really means to belittle someone) is just obnoxious.  I cannot stand it when people get lazy and use "u" and "r".  How hard is it to type an extra two letters?  And then I know from editing papers in high school and college that that type of spelling sneaks into papers.  As a future English teacher, I shudder to think of what I might have to face in the coming years.  Hopefully people can snap out of this laziness and spell correctly.

Tiffany Gilbert said:

GRAMMAR: You made me laugh when you mentioned "dis." I admit, I have a myspace page which I use to stalk people. Not really, but just to wander from page to page. When I see a post on someones wall, "Dis is goin to b Osm."
I cringe, like Jesse said in his blog. Text message and aol lingo do not bother me as much as "dis" and "dat." Those words aren't even English. They mean nothing, they do not substitute for anything. Who came up with them?

Enough ranting, point proven :)

Tiffany Gilbert said:

Enough ranting, point proven :)

Jessie Farine said:

I know the pain, fellow stickler. This dumbed-down internet speech is going to lead to a grammar holocaust in the future. I can't imagine how bad people's grammar is going to be in the future when it is already appalling now.