Survivor

"'Times are changing,' she said 'Do you know what's happening to this world?  It's swelling up.  It's getting so full of people that only the smart thrifty energetic ones are going to survive'," (O'Connor, The Displaced Person, pg 226)

I am going to be completely honest: I was very confused during this story.  I don't know if it's just the huge amount of medicine I've been taking to try to fight this horrible cold I got from observing classrooms in my old high school over break or if it was just the story or maybe I'm just tired and worn out from a too busy, too short spring break.  But whatever it was, I am still very confused.  But onto the quote.

Reading this quote, I was reminded of Darwinism and the idea that only the strong survive.  Of course, this doesn't just mean that only the physically strong survive, but those who are smart enough to outwit the other competition will survive.  (anyone in the mood for a few episodes of Survivor?)  Unfortunately, I think everyone knows from experience that not everyone who survives and makes it to the big time necessarily belongs where they get or deserves to be there in the end.  But who are we to say who gets to survive.  I guess we can only do what it takes to survive for ourselves.  Outwit, outplay, outlast.