Fake it Till Ya Make it

"She used to sit on the sand with his head in her lap by the hour, rubbing her fingers over his eyes and looking at him with unfathomable delight." (Fitzgerald 77)

To onlookers it would seem by this quote alone that Daisy was madly in love with Tom Buchanan and deliriously happy to his wife. This is because they did not witness the drunken hysterical scene Daisy had made in her room the day before, "she married Tom Buchanan without so much as a shiver, and started off on a three months' trip to the South Seas" (Fitzgerald 76). As a read the description of Daisy "looking at him with unfathomable delight," (Fitzgerald 77) I could not help but to feel like she was forcing herself to love him and be happy. He had money, stability, and love for her, but she did not truly love him! This I feel is only the beginning of Daisy "faking" love, happiness, or desire to improve her own life without real consideration for those around her who aren't "faking it."

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/EL267/2009/02/fitzgerald_the_great_gatsby/ 

Alicia Campbell said:

I agree with this statement. In fact, Daisy's character kind of enrages me, because she is so weak. Take, for instance, what Daisy says on the subject of her child: "I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool - that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool." I could not believe Daisy would wish this upon her daughter. Perhaps Daisy is troubled by the fact that she is not a fool, rather she knows what is going on, but is too weak to do anything about it, despite marrying a man for the wrong reasons. If I were in Daisy's situation, I would either want my daughter to avoid being trapped in a similar situation, or to have the courage and self-respect to get out of it.

Carlos Peredo said:

Good point! I think this can often be an underlying motif in literature and in life. We have a tendency to look at our life and say "well I'm not sad or angry, Im not unhappy, therefore I must be happy."

Daisy seems to force herself into feeling happy and in love because she isn't unhappy or dissatisfied with the relationship. In reality she isn't black or white, just a nice shade of gray that seems to be trying desperately to look white.