The Chicken or the Egg?

"Here it is: there is only one story! There, I said it and I can't very well take it back. There is only one story. Ever. One. It's always been going on and it's everywhere around and every story you've ever read or heard or watched is part of it" (Foster 32).

This declaration stopped me in my tracks. I was suprised and confused that Foster could make such a claim. In the early reading I noticed that he stated things absolutely like "whenever people eat or drink together, it's communion" (Foster 8). His claim that only one story exists, however, is ambigous. To which "story" is Foster referring? Is he saying that history is the only story? He does remind the readers, "History is story, too" (Foster 32). Or is he referring to the "orginial story" thta brought about and influenced all later stories? Reminiscent of the idea of the origin of the chicken and the egg, this passage stumped me. Foster, I believe, is refering to history because it has the potential to influence all future or current stories. Foster's vagueness, however, is uncharacteristic.

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/EL267/2009/02/online_agenda_items_1/

Christopher Dufalla said:

I think that when Foster uses the word "story" he's speaking of all creation and life in general. Life is an on-going story composed of history (which proves to repeat itself) and literature (which also proves to be repeated, recycled and reformatted). All of these elements contribute to the element of the grand story of life. Yet, I must say that it is an interesting point that Foster has left us with ambiguity (quite uncharacteristic thus far). It is possible that he meant the first story written or recorded in some manner, be it through story-telling or cave pictures. But it is also possible that he was referring exclusively to history in and of itself. This is an interesting perspective.