Time Machine

"'Can't repeat the past?' he cried incredulouly. 'Why of course you can!'" (110)

When Gatsby made this claim he had no idea how right he was! No only did this statement open a window into Gatsby's true motivation for buying such a nice house, throwing lavish parties, and become involved once again in Daisy's life, it acted as foreshadowing for the rest of Nick's story. Gatsby wanted to travel back to the time when Daisy and he were in love before the war and before her marriage to Tom. In addition to being so revealing, Gatsby's claim that repeating the past is possible radiates with irony. He does not know how right he is! Once again, Gatsby will lose Daisy to Tom. She will not even be present  at his funeral. Nick realizes this when he says we live our lives "...borne back ceaselessly into the past" (180). Though Gatsby's goal was to change the past, he merely succeeded at, as he said earlier in the novel, repeating it. 

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/EL267/2009/02/06/

Christopher Dufalla said:

This is a very valid point, Alyssa. I had previously dismissed Gatsby's idea as a total failure, not in the sense of repeating failure, but the mere idea of repeating it. The past can be reenacted, but now that I think of it I was overlooking one of the core ideas that I love so much about history. History should be studied and learned from because when we don't learn from the past history repeats itself along with all of its flaws. Here within the novel, Gatsby has done just that. I feel that I greatly overlooked that point on the first time through.