« Hamilton 1-31....... | Main | This made me wanna scream sort of lol ..............(Foster Pg. 89) »

All I can say is..................("A good man is hard to find" O'Connor)

"I remember the day you could go off and leave your screen door unlatched. Not no more." **Red Sammy** (A Good Man is Hard to Find, Flannery O'Connor)

I liked this quote because I can relate to it. I remember when I was about 2 or 3 my grandmother would always have the doors closed, but never locked and it never bothered her untill I got older and society, incidents, etc got worse. I feel that a O'Connor's, "A good man is hard to find " has a self explanatory title, a good man is hard to find, a good person in general is hard to find anymore today, you don't know who to trust anymore because of all the terrible things going on in our world and with the title being "A good man is hard to find" and then the quote mentioned above, I think its also ironic how they go together with one another as well.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tbasiut8dsfh.cgi/12632

Angela Palumbo:

I couldn't agree more. One thing that really annoys me is when some people of the older generations try to call us lazy. They'll say things like, "When I was your age I would play outside until the streetlights came on. All you guys do is sit in front of a TV screen." The reason for this is simple. Kidnappings and things of the sort were not as much of a threat back then. (There was also a baby boom aka more kids to play with.) I would have loved to play outside constantly except when you have the fear instilled in you that if someone kidnaps you there is a possibility that you would not see mommy and daddy ever again, it kind of takes away from the fun in it. There was one instance when I was a child that I will never forget. I was sitting in my front yard playing with a stuffed animal when a man drove by in a truck. He was holding his iced tea outside the window, probably innocently, but I thought for sure that he was going to kidnap me. I ran inside, frightened. Nowadays, we are all taught from a young age to not trust which is sad but necessary for our survival.

Angelica Guzzo:

I agree that the title is ironic. I never had a lock unhinged grandmother though. My grandmaother always talks about the good old days, but a lot has changed since then.

Juliana Cox:

I agree and can also relate. I grew up in a neighborhood were no one locked their doors and if you needed to borrow some sugar or eggs you could just walk right into the house and get what you needed. Then we started to have break-ins around the neighborhood and the open door policy went out the window. It is also true that you do not know who to trust because everyone has their own selfish motives to futher them along in the world, just like the Misfit.

Juliana, isn't the grandmother also selfish? That's another irony.

I liked this quote too. It is def. harder these days to find the "quality people" that I know my gram used to talk about in today's society, but really it could be our own fault. People jump to conclusions more these days after all - learning not to trust so quickly from an early age has also caused some reasons why people are bad in the first place which leads to more trust isses, and the cycle continues.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on February 11, 2008 5:56 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Hamilton 1-31........

The next post in this blog is This made me wanna scream sort of lol ..............(Foster Pg. 89).