« More then what it seems (Foster Ch, 2,3 & 5) | Main | Every Story & Poem, A vacation (Foster 19,20) »

Minnie Foster--Once a happy girl

"She used to wear pretty clothes and be lively, when she was Minnie Foster, one of the town girls singing in the choir." (from "Trifles" by Susan Glaspell).

This quote made me relaize that Mrs. Wright actually seemed happier and more "lively" before she got married to Mr. Wright. I think that one of the reasons she killed Mr. Wright is because to her he killed her free spirit, or took it away so to speak and she missed that so she was probably thinking somewhere in the back of her mind, if he goes away my free spirit may come back. In the end I feel that if Mrs. Wright would have changed her methods she would have been much happier making a dfferent choice.

Angela Palumbo:

I completely agree! Minnie was a much happier person before her husband which makes one wonder, why did she marry him in the first place? She sounded like the kind of person who could attract a nice man. Why did she choose John Wright?

Maddie Gillespie:

I agree with you when you mentioned that Mrs. Wright was much happier before she was married. I touched on something similar in my blog. I do like the insight you provided into her mindset/thoughts though. It certainly seemed as if her spirit finally broke when her canary died and she just had to escape from Mr. Wright in the only way she knew that she could finally-and permanently-be rid of him.

Jeanine O'Neal:

In jail she will probably be more free than she was with her husband anyways. Think about it... she will have he quilting, her apron, and her preserves and not have to work another day in her life Ah! Freedom!

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on February 4, 2008 6:38 PM.

The previous post in this blog was More then what it seems (Foster Ch, 2,3 & 5).

The next post in this blog is Every Story & Poem, A vacation (Foster 19,20).