Frost's deception

Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken" stuck with me because of the way that the poem ends. The first three stanzas depict the speaker picking between two roads that are seemingly similar to one another in contimplation of which to pick. Phrases such as "...just as fair" and "Though as for that passing there/ Had worn them really about the same," show that the roads are similar. Also, it seems like the speaker regrets the choice he is about to make, by saying "Yet knowing how way leads on to way, / I doubted if I should ever come back." and "I shall be telling this with a sigh." Yet after all this, the poem shows that taking the path that he chose made "all the difference." It was almost deceiving.

This poem made me think about some of the choices that I have made, some were on paved highways which everyone takes, and some were paths through desolate wilderness. I realized the ones on paths less travelled are what define me as a person.

Perhaps tacking that path made all the difference in a bad way. Maybe they got stuck in mud or maybe if it is a path in life he got fired from his job or something.

But I don't think the poem is about taking less traveled by path, as I put in my blog entry