Prospero and Basilio: Shakespeare and de la Barca

From "Reason of State and Repetition in The Tempest and La vida es sueño" by Stephen Rupp:

"Prospero and Basilio are artist-princes who believe in their abilities to plot or control the course of public life; the working-through of their schemes releases the state from the blocked energies of the past and unveils the prospect of a new politics that will not reiterate old errors and injustices."

I would be lying if I didn't say that I trudged through this text.  I don't find politics in the least bit amusing.  I think it's good to know how it works, but to an extent, it is always a front.  Anyway, I found the above statement to be very interesting because as I mentioned in If "Life is a Dream," Why Do I Bother?, I found many parallels between works that I'm familiar with and "Life is a Dream."   I was surprised that I did not see the similarities between some of the characters, especially Prospero and Basilio.  In the end of both stories, these two characters renounce their control over what is meant to be, and allow things to be the way "they should be." 

What other parallels can you see between the two stories?  Do you think that Pedro Calderon de la Barca read "The Tempest" and purposefully mirrored some of the same issues, making it more uniquely relatable to a Spanish heritage?

Take me back to the mainpage so I can finish responding to other people's blogs...

It’s quite possible that Calderon could have read “The Tempest,” but I personally think it is more likely that there were simply certain conventions that were popular during this time in theatre. These archetypes and monomyth seem to ascend country boundaries. The woman cross dressed was one convention that Shakespeare and other playwrights used repeatedly, so who is to say that Calderon did not borrow it from some other playwright? Calderon was simply using the conventions available for him at the time. As for other connections between the two texts, I related Segismundo and Caliban in my blog entry; you’re welcome to check it out.
http://blogs.setonhill.edu/GretaCarroll/2009/03/the_key_difference_between_seg.html