Symbolism Causes Foreshadowing

"Instead, let's restrict ourselves to what he did do and, more important, what we readers can discover in his work. What we have to work with is hints and allegations, really, evidence, sometimes only a trace that points to something lying behind the text." (Foster 84)

After reading this chapter of Foster, I had already finished Machinal, and it made me backtrack to a line in the script...

"MAN. I can't live anywhere else - for long.
WOMAN. Why not?
MAN. Oh - you're free down there! You're free!

A street light is lit outside. The outlines of a window take form against this light. There are bars across is, and from outside it, the sidewalk cuts across almost at the top... Inside, on the ledge, there is a lily blooming in a bowl of rocks and water." (Treadwell 49)

Before even reading to the end, I saw the bars across the window to be referencing to jail, and possibly that was foreshadowing. Even more important, is that the lily is on the edge with the bowl full of rocks and water. I believe that the author was trying to foreshadow that later those would be significant, and someone would end up behind bars in the end.

Of course, there is symbolism in every piece of literature. What other symbols have you found in different books that you have read?