Am I Alone Here?

“In a metaphor, a word or phrase that in literal use designates one kind of thing is applied to a conspicuously different object, concept, or experience, without asserting an explicit comparison” (Hamilton 33).

I felt that I had to write on this because in my experience writing, I have always found it difficult to write a metaphor. By reading about them I found that they can be “as simple as one word” or long drawn out comparisons. To me writing a simile is much easier because of the use of the use of ‘like’ and ‘than’. I also thought since we just finished The Merry Wives of Windsor, I can admit something. I have had difficulty finding and understanding the metaphors in Shakespeare.

This is something I always try to improve on. Maybe someone can give me some tips. I feel that by blogging about this I won’t feel so alone in not completely understanding the metaphor.

Angelica, this is a great way to use your blog... I'm going to hope that someone else out there takes you up on your request. (If not, I'll be happy to discuss the issue in class.)

Stephanie Wytovich said:

I'm glad that you stated this because I think a lot of people can relate to it. I also think that a lot people have a hard time understanding Shakespeare their first time around whether they like it or not.

I don't know if this helps or not, but think of a metaphor as when something is referred to directly. Also, I know that when I read Shakespeare, his footnotes are like my bible. I read something, read it again, and then use the footnotes for clarification purposes.

Hope that helped :)