Death is not the end

Donne describes death as “From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,/ Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow, /And soonest our best men with thee do go, /Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.” (Donne 5-8)

This quote meant that our souls live on. I interpreted it as saying our bodies “rest”, but our “souls” move forward. It’s peaceful to think about. It shows that our lives still have meaning even when we’re gone. “Death, thou shalt die.”

Some have the fear, once they pass away, and then that’s it. They want to have a legacy and know their life had meaning.

I thought about the legacy thing that you mention too. At first I thought that the speaker was beating Death through his own legacy. I thought he was saying, "You can't kill me because I have made an impact on people so although I'm gone, I'm really not." After I read the poem through a few more times I saw the religious aspect of the poem.

Deana Kubat said:

first of all i thought i was a freak for picking the same part of the poem that you basically did. but i agree. i think though that this part is just talking about how no matter who you are, no matter how you die, you will die though no matter what. its just part of life.