i am not my degree

“Regardless of your major, however, remember: Your major is not you. Nor is your future determined or limited by your major. If it were, every politician would have majored in political science” (Lemire 183).

I really liked this quote. Your major isn’t everything. You can change your major as well. By majoring in English, I am looking to teach elementary school children. So English does not define who I am. It’s only part.  It’s such an early time in our lives to be asked what is it you want to do for the rest of your life. Making a decision on what to major in was scary. I thought my decision was final. The truth is sometimes it takes us a while to figure out what we want. College is about experimenting and finding yourself.

No matter what you major in, it does not define you. Only you can define yourself. Just because you have a degree in an area does not mean you can only accept jobs in that area. With an English degree I can work at a bank or be a writer, if I decide teaching wasn’t the right choice. There are always other options. So keep your eyes open.

Kaitlin Monier said:

I agree. English is great, but there are so many other interesting majors out there. Even those other majors do not define who a person is, although it does give someone an idea about their interests