punctuation please

“Now, there are many people who claim that they do fully punctuate text messages.”  (Lynne Truss, Eat, Shoots, & Leaves p18)

Truss says earlier, “in the world of text messages, ignorance of grammar and punctuation obviously doesn’t affect a person’s ability to communicate messages ad ‘C U later’ (pg 17).’ I think text messaging, instant messaging, and emailing have hurt the need for punctuation. Text messaging is meant to get to someone fast and typing all the letters and using punctuation takes up time. Yes, it’s a great way to communicate, but when we leave that world and need to write a paper, we forget all the rules.  I know I catch myself typing ppl instead of people when I’m writing a paper and I stop myself.

I enjoy messaging my friends and some days I don’t know if I could survive without AOL, but I think we should pay more attention to grammar. In the book, she also talks about there not being enough time spent on grammar in schools, which I agree with. It seemed to me that there was a lot of attention devoted to capitalization and using punctuation at the end of a sentence.

I don’t remember having a lot of time in my English classes that was just devoted to teaching us when to use a comma and when to use an apostrophe. It seemed that in secondary grades, teachers review grammar rules when they notice there is a problem. When they would want to review, students would roll their eyes because they “knew” how to do it. I think teachers should start off each year with a lesson on grammar that way they can eliminate the times during the year when they have to stop teaching their lesson to explain basic grammar rules.

Juliana Cox said:

Angelica, I agree with you that not enough time is spent in schools focused on grammar. The fact is that to teach everything that is required in schools these days, there isn't enough time. I feel a way to help this cause is for teachers to add a grammar problem or example to each english homework assignment. Therefore, since there is not enough time in the classroom to cover grammar the students can still review it with each English assignment. Also I cant remember the last time I sent a text that had the correct puctuation or full words. Texting and AIM use shortcut words and somehow we manage to understand the message, but I could never imagine reading a novel with the shortcut words I use when I text. It would take me forever to learn what the reading is trying to tell me because everyone has their own "language" when it comes to texting and you just become used to it when talking to the same people. Its kind've the same with the way we talk. We do not use our slang words when we write papers. It's not proper.

Juliana Cox said:

Jeanine O'Neal said:

When I text message, I do not use punctuation because it takes up too much space in the message and I end up paying for two messages instead of one. However, on instant messenger I refuse to reply to any message that uses such IM jargon as ttyl, c u l8r, how r u, wasup, lmao, etc. It's so easy to type actual words that I won't talk to people that lazy. One that always gets me is when people use @. They use a symbol to delete one freaking letter!!!