It's about time

“The rule is: the word “it’s” (with apostrophe) stands for “it is” or “it has”. (Truss, Eats. Shoots, &Leaves, pg 43)

If the word does not stand for either it has or it is then there’s no need for an apostrophe before the s. I like how she says, “This is extremely easy to grasp” (43).  She gives another example, “If you can replace the word with ‘you are’, then the word is you’re” (pg 62). This is a big pet peeve of mine. It drives me crazy when people us the wrong form of a word such as there, its, and your. I can maybe understand if you are in a rush sending a text, but not when you’re writing a paper that will be graded.

One time a received an invitation saying, “your invited.” I wanted to scream. How could somebody that has a college degree send that out? Sometimes it could be beneficial to ask yourself whether what you are saying means you are invited or “your invited” (spell check is going crazy because of my intentional errors right now).

I also like how Truss sys, “If I did not believe that everyone is capable of understanding where an apostrophe goes, I would not be writing this book” (pg 32).  Some of these rules aren’t hard to follow. It might just take some practice. If you’re not sure what form you should use or if you need an apostrophe, it’s okay to ask someone too.

Angelica, I agree, they are easy to grasp and it drives me crazy too. Another one being weather/whether, I’ve seen many people write: “I don’t know weather to go here or there.” I don’t understand why people have such difficulties. And everyone really can comprehend it, it just takes some thought and a conscious effort at the beginning, that’s why it is so frustrating when people mix them up, because it is so easy.

Kaitlin Monier said:

Yes, some of the rules are actually easy to remember. Some rules are crazy complicated, but they're and you're is a simple concept. it frustrates me too when people can't keep them straight.