"Ghosts and vampires are never only about ghosts and vampires"

In Chapter 3, Foster introduces the idea that vampires and ghosts are more than they appear.  While reading or watching movies, I've always seen them symbolizing sex and impurity due to the era in which they were first created.  However, Foster also introduces the idea that they can symbolize other ideas as well.  In the beginning of the chapter he states, "But it's (Vampirism) also about things other than literal vampirism: selfishness, exploitation, a refusal to respect the autonomy of other people..." 

He continued on saying that ghosts aren't simply characters to make the reader think that another character is insane or implying something sexual.  For example, he says that in The Turn of the Screw by Henry James, the story plot can symbolize "fatherly neglect" rather than the ghost of a man haunting a woman, and symbolizing something sexual.  I really like how this chapter got into the other things than "taking away a woman's usefulness". 

To see what my classmates have to say click here!

Tim Crawford said:

very well done, I like the way you analyzed it. I think your right on point about vampirism