Slow and steady wins the race!

The entire third chapter of this book is about this poor little turtle trying his best to make it up a hill!  Of course most everyone feels bad for the helpless little turtle, but I'm sure that we all started wondering why there was a whole chapter based on this seemingly insignificant creature.  I'm sure this poor little guy symbolizes and foreshadows something...but the question is what does it mean. 

The first thing I thought of was the story about the tortise and the hare.  At the time, I wasn't too sure what that would have to do with anything in the story of The Grapes of Wrath (I've never read this book yet) but the further I read, the more I believe that these two stories have a connection.  There is a connection in the story between the turtle and the family because we feel sympathy for both of them.  Also, they are both forced to move against their will.  If we consider the possibility of foreshadowing using the story of the tortise and the hare, maybe in the end, even though things are going down hill and moving slowly for the family, they will be happier and better off at the end of the story.

To see what my classmates have to say click here

Marie vanMaanen said:

I like that you pointed out this chapter because as I first read it, all I could think was what was the point of this. I agree that the turtle symbolizes the family and that both are struggling on a tough journey. The hill seems like an insurmountable roadblock for this poor little turtle just as the eviction and complications seem like an insurmountable roadblock for the Joad family. However, despite the difficulties, both keep struggling through their journeys. I also agree that hopefully like the turtle, slow and steady does provide a good ending for the Joad family.