But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? Carpe -- hear it? -- Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary! ~Robin Williams, The Dead Poet's Society

In Silvia Plath's poem, Child, she expresses her feelings in the differences between childhood and adulthood.  I think this is something that everyone highschool and above can easily understand.  We often find ourselves wishing to be able to go back to being children because things were so easy.  As a child, you never had a care in the world, everyday was a brand new adventure, and we didn't have our responsibilities.  We just lived for the sake of enjoying everday to its fullest extent. 

As I read this, despite the dark undertones of Silvia Plath's depression, I found that it reminded me of my Dad.  His hero is Peter Pan because he refuses to grow up.  Even though he is an adult and has a ton of responsibilities, in his free time, he enjoys himself as much as he can.  When I was a child, he was never embarassed to hang out with me and do 'girly stuff' (despite the very little amount of girly stuff i ever did as a child) and was always a kid with me.   As I grew up, I realized that that is who my Dad truely is; a kid at heart.  And I think that we can take Silvia Plath's poem and apply it to our lives as such, even though we may not be as depressed and upset as her.

Click here to see what my classmates have to say!

Jennifer Prex said:

I agree. I think the main difference, as expressed by example in the poem, is that kids view the world as being this happy place with no troubles at all. When we grow up, we are forced to acknowledge that there are troubles out there that can and most likely will affect us at one time or another. We all like the happy go lucky way of thinking, but we can't fully return to it. And I think that as long as we find some balance between remaining an optimistic kid at heart like your dad and keeping in mind that bad things do happen, we won't be as depressed as Sylvia Plath.