Just like Blogging

I really like how Keats uses comparisons in this poem that relate his love of reading to Chapman's "Homer". Keats explains that he has read and analyzed a massive amount of writings when he says,

"Much have I travell'd in the realms of gold,

And many goodly states and kingdoms seen:

Round many western islands have I been" (1-3).

I have never read the Illiad or the Odyssey or any of Homer's works for that matter; however, I am quite certain a lot of traveling occurs in both stories. I find it fitting that Keats describes having a lot of experience with literature with that of traveling and knowing many places around the world.

Reading Keat's poem reminded me of blogging. In class we have to blog about each reading. Keats did the same here after reading Chapman's "Homer". The only difference is that Keats wrote it in the form of a poem. Keats expresses his knowledge of literature and his feelings after reading the piece, just like we do in class. We admit what we know, what we have learned, how we feel, what we like or dislike, any revelations we may have had; many of which, can be seen in Keat's poem. Keats describes his awakening in these lines:

"That deep-brow'd Homer ruled as his demesne,

Yet did I never breathe its pure serene

Till I heard Chapman speak out loud and bold:

Then I felt like some watcher of the skies

When a new planet swims into his ken" (6-10).

He expresses having heard of Homer's greatness, but never having appreciated his work until now. I felt similarly when we read "Goodnight Desdemona, Good Morning Juliet". I had never heard of the author before, but I really enjoyed the play. After reading that piece, I actually wanted to give Shakespeare a second chance.   

.   

Homer is credited with The Odyssey, which is the story of the wanderings of Odysseus -- and the name of the work has become synonymous with an epic journey

When I teach EL150, I include a "Blog in Bank Verse Day," which requires everyone to do their blogging (and commenting) in iambic pentameter -- so on that one day, anyway, the blogging and the creation of reflective poetry are even more similar.

Kayla Lesko said:

I haven't read The Illiad, but I have read The Odyssey. It's a great story, you should check it out.

*Shudders* Blogging in poerty format just sounds plain scary. lol

Brooke Kuehn said:

Haha i know i had the same reaction kayla, but it might be neat to change blogging up a bit sometime lol