Portfolio 3

Portfolio 3

Coverage:

A Coping Method?(Maus) a discussion on how upfront Vladik is about his history of hardships in Maus.

My Thoughts are Haunting Me (Shakespeare Sonnet 30) an analysis of the speaker's train of thought in Shakespeare's Sonnet 30--negative versus positive thoughts .

Just like Blogging (Keats) a comparison between Keats' poetic response to Chapman's Homer and our class blog entries.

One Order of Imagery, Coming Right Up (Roberts Ch. 8) Is there really imagery in everything we read? Here I discuss the possibility while also analyzing the imagery in Masefield's "Cargoes".

You are What You Hear. You are What You See. (Hughes "Theme") Do we learn to be mean or is it a quality we are born with? This entry discusses possible answers to the question and also the concept that "we are what we learn" as shown in Hughes' "Theme". 

Sulk or Recover (Mansfield "Miss Brill") a look at the possible outcomes of Miss Brill being made fun of in Mansfield's "Miss Brill". Will she or wont she "people watch again"?

It's Common Sense People (Editorial) an analysis of "Texting Ban: Budgeting Fiasco", an editorial from the Patriot News Editorial Board. Why is the issue of texting while driving so overlooked?

You Reap What You Sow (Poe) an analysis of the figurative and metaphorical meanings in Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death".

Factual vs. Flowery (Roberts Ch 9) a look at the use of metaphors in news writing and the concept of getting straight to the point.

Just Like Hughes (Roberts Ch 6) a comparison between "real life" people and literary characters in response to the idea that people are sculpted by their surroundings.

We All Die Alone (John Henry Prologue and Part1) An analysis of J.'s most overwhelming emotion before death: loneliness.

Not Respected? (John Henry 2 and 3) a brief look at how Whitehead's novel has instilled a new form of respect from me for freelance journalists.

From the Perspective of a People Watcher (John Henry 4) Here I vent my frustration with needless pages of descriptions in John Henry.

Depth: I generally write rather lengthy blogs; however, my last few were short due to time crunch. I find it helpful to write longer blogs because the further I get into the entry, the deeper I get into the piece. Basically, longer blogs help me close read more efficiently.

My Thoughts are Haunting Me (Shakespeare Sonnet 30)

One Order of Imagery, Coming Right Up (Roberts Ch. 8)

You are What You Hear. You are What You See. (Hughes "Theme")

It's Common Sense People (Editorial)

Interaction: For every entry of mine that someone commented on, I commented on his/her blog for the same piece. This was something new that I tried for this portfolio and I found it quite helpful in carrying on conversations with others. I think it is common courtesy to comment on a person's blog who took the time to comment on mine.

Simple Questioning? -Melissa Schwenk

Melissa and I discuss the emotions of the speaker in Hughes' "Theme for English B". We analyze the overall feeling of anger, loneliness, and lack of confidence.

The Self-Pity Sonnet -Josie Rush

Josie, Aja, and I discuss the shift of thought at the end of Shakespeare's Sonnet 30 as well as whether or not the friend mentioned at the end was dead or alive.

I Sigh My Lack of Brain... -Carissa Altizer

Carissa, Klaryssa, and I discuss how we can relate to the feeling of regret in Hughes' "Theme for English B".

Roses are red, violets are blue, all my metaphors have been said, so what should I do? Josie Rush

I found Josie's entry on "Miss Brill" rather thought provoking so I shared my thoughts in a rather lengthy comment.

What is True? -Jessie Krehlik

This conversation involved several members of our class. I was the first to comment, adding that the mentioning of the age 22 in Hughes' piece helped me further relate to the piece.

Discussion:

It's Common Sense People (Editorial)

Just like Blogging (Keats)

Factual vs. Flowery (Roberts Ch 9)

A Coping Method? (Maus)

Timeliness: Because I try to write lengthier blogs, I sometimes find it difficult to blog on time. However, the following pieces were all written in a timely manner. Also, compared to my last two portfolios I wrote many more piece on time for this portfolio.

Factual vs. Flowery (Roberts Ch 9)

Just like Blogging (Keats)

Poor Toby (Chekhov "The Bear")

Xenoblogging:

1.      I was the first to comment on the following entries:

What a Fancy Way to Say You Like Reading Kayla Lesko  

I Sigh My Lack of Brain... Carissa Altizer

Catching the Swine Flu Dianna Griffin

What is True? Jessie Krehlik

Mind Your Tone Karyssa

2.      I was the first to comment on these entries and I returned to carry on the conversations:

The Self-Pity Sonnet Josie Rush

Josie's entry ended up receiving six comments. I returned to her entry and added a second comment later on to continue our conversation.

Simple Questioning? Melissa Schwenk

Melissa's entry now has six comments, three of which are my comments.

3.      Roses are red, violets are blue, all my metaphors have been said, so what should I do? Josie Rush

I replied to Josie's blog with a very lengthy comment. Her blog entry caused me to think of many different ideas on Mansfield's "Miss Brill" which I decided to share in my comment.

Wildcard:

You are What You Hear. You are What You See. (Hughes "Theme") I chose this blog for my wildcard piece because it generated the most comments out of all my blogs.