Chap 5: Q.7: Kat-Naughty or Nice?

Instead of responding to a quote in chapter 5, I answered number 7 under "Special Topics for Studying and Discussing Plot and Structure." 

Positive

Mrs. Foster leaned forward in the hospital bed and smiled at Katherine.  Her grey eyes lit up and she reached for Kat's hand.  "You know, this is my favorite part of the story..."

Katherine squeezed Mrs. Foster's hand and quietly laughed. 

"Of course I know!  You remind me every time I read the chapter."

Nurse Jan walked into the room to give Mrs. Foster her medications.  She said, "Oh, hello, Kat!  You know, you remind me so much of my granddaughter.  You both have such pretty blond hair and bright white smiles.  It's good to see that you're keeping Mrs. Foster company again today."

Negative

Kat rolled her eyes when she turned the page.  "Here we go," she thought.  Like clockwork, Mrs. Foster leaned forward in her hospital bed and smiled at Katherine.  

"You know, this is my favorite part of the story..."  Kat wanted to put the woman out of her misery.  She cut her off and hissed, "Of course I know!  You remind me every time I read the chapter."

Nurse Jan walked into the room to give Mrs. Foster her medications.  Jan started talking to her and Kat nodded and smiled just like she was supposed to.  The only thing she could think about was how perfect it would be if she could administer Mrs. Foster's medication.  An extra dose or two might just give her a free ticket out if Ethel finally kicked the bucket.

In order to show Katherine in contrasting positive and negative ways I used different points of view.  In response number one I focused on the scene like I was holding a video camera in the corner of the room.  I wanted to show that the elderly woman was happy, a pretty, young blond was reading to her, and that Nurse Jan seemed to approve and appreciate the time Kat spent with the elderly woman. 

In the second response I showed the exact same scene but I used first person point of view to let the reader know what Kat was actually thinking.  The "camera" also zoomed in when Mrs. Foster and Kat spoke directly to each other.  This way, the reader knows that she wasn't laughing quietly in a sweet, "isn't grandma cute?" kind of way.  Kat actually does not like Mrs. Foster at all and feels hostility and contempt towards her. 

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/EL237/2009/09/roberts_ch5/