Sign up to be a lawyer, you'll make more money.

While I had several very enthusiastic, skilled English teachers in high school and took all higher level courses, the writing focus tended to drift towards creative writing and grammar usage.  By the time I graduated I had only written a total of something like 4, maybe 5 research based papers.  The actual purpose of a research paper (to come up with your own research and not back up what you already think) wasn't addressed. I remember doing one exercise in tenth grade on perfecting thesis statements, but I don't even know if the worksheet was checked or graded.  Needless to say, I came to college a little unprepared for the English program.  I have also never heard of "arguing against possible objections" before SHU.  I always assumed that as a writer, you want to make your point as strong as possible and not even suggest that there are other interpretations or arguments than the one that you're making.  Obviously, I was wrong. 

My boyfriend, an English major from Wesleyan University says that the main focus at his school was "Writing About a Problem."  I liked what Jessie said about not knowing she was signing up to be a lawyer, because he says that many English majors went onto study law bc they already had many of the skills to do so.  My first serious English class was in Thinking and Writing with Dr. Wansor.  He was the first to introduce the steps to writing a successful paper.  I feel like this is a new way of writing for me.  

I have a difficult time distinguishing between too much summary and not enough details from the story.  After Monday's class, it seems to me that there is an awful lot of summary in Chapter 12's essay, a relatively short paper, but it is well constructed, clear, and concise.  Without the summary, I think it would be a much weaker paper. 

Jessica Orlowski's blog page:

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/JessicaOrlowski/2009/09/oh_i_didnt_realize_that_this_w.html

(Also, if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong with posting links, please let me know. I have no idea
how to make one word a link instead of the whole http:// thing, and even when I copy and past the 
site, it doesn't seem to be letting anyone access the pages I post anyway.)

Carissa, to make a link, select the word you want to turn into the link, then click the button that looks like chain links. A window will pop up, and you can type the URL into that window. (You probably want to copy-paste the URL you want to use into your clipboard first, so you can just paste it in the window.)

Actually, I only remember doing two or three serious research papers in high school English, but I must have learned the lesson well, because in the first English course I took, I did library research for every paper, even though the instructor only expected us to write close readings. (I didn't find that out until the end of the term, though.)

Carissa Altizer said:

Dr. Jerz, thanks for the help. I watched the youtube video section on it, but I still couldn't figure it out. I was just able to do it on my own blog (yay!), but what do you do when the squiggly button isn't there, for example, when you're writing comments on other's blogs? I'm assuming that is what an html tag is, right?

That's right... most blog comments don't have the "make a link" button. Link

I've put the code you need here, but of course if it works you won't actually see the code, you'll see the link.