Sonnet 73...Still a Mystery to Me!

I took Shakespeare over the summer with an amazing professor at Westmoreland County Community College.  We covered five novels in five weeks and class was four hours a day twice a week.  (The class transfers, and I suggest it to anyone who hasn't taken Shakespeare yet.  Dr. Kissler is hysterical and it will save you lots of money!)  At first I dreaded it, but it ended up being my favorite summer class.  Shakespeare's plays don't scare me like they used to do in the past, but his poetry is still a bit of a mystery to me.  I have read, reread, and then quadruple read Sonnet 73 (not to mention the fact that I read almost everyone's blogs about it).  When it was written, I'm sure all of the metaphors and descriptions were fresh.  "Sweet birds sang," "glowing of such fire," "ashes of his youth."  Yeah, ok, I get it... I think?  The speaker is looking back over his life and comparing it to different seasons.  He is getting ready to die and his youth is fading.  He tells his beloved one that this will only make their love stronger.  Perhaps he is kind of saying that they will meet in the afterlife and both still love each other?  I can also see the very dramatic break up interpretation if I squint when I read it.  What should I really be taking from this piece?  I feel like I'm missing something when I read it...or perhaps this particular poem just doesn't strike me.

Carissa Altizer said:

I want to apologize to anyone at SHU who was offended that I suggested taking Shakespeare at WCCC. I never took SHU's Shakespeare class, in fact, I'm not even sure who teaches it. I'm sure that our professor is very good too!